Policy Number: 227
Pursuant to the provisions of the Georgia Constitution, the University System of Georgia has established rules with respect to enrollment of persons 62 years of age or older in programs of the University System.
Effective Date: 0001-01-01
Responsible Party: Registrar
Administrative Category: Academic Affairs
Applies To: Staff, Students
Keyword(s): Students over age 62, Registration
Full Policy Text:
Administration of Policy
Board of Regents Policy Manual
Office of the Registrar, 2nd floor Sparks Hall, 3-2275
Responsible Executive(s): AP for Academic Programs
Committee Members: None
|Position Title||Campus Location||Phone Number and/or E-mail Address|
|Office of the Registrar||2nd Floor Sparks Hall||404-413-2275|
Full Policy Text
Pursuant to the provisions of the Georgia Constitution, the University System of Georgia establishes the following rules with respect to enrollment of persons 62 years of age or older in programs of the University System. To be eligible for enrollment under this provision such persons:
- Must be residents of Georgia, 62 years of age or older at the time of registration, and shall present a birth certificate or other comparable written documentation of age to enable the institution to determine eligibility.
- May enroll as a regular or auditing student in courses offered for resident credit on a "space available" basis without payment of fees, except for supplies, laboratory or shop fees.
- Shall meet all System and institution undergraduate or graduate admission requirements; however, institutions may exercise discretion in exceptional cases where circumstances indicate that certain requirements such as high school graduation and minimum test scores are inappropriate. In those instances involving discretionary admission institutions will provide diagnostic methods to determine whether or not participation in Learning Support will be required prior to enrollment in regular credit courses. Reasonable prerequisites may be required in certain courses.
- Shall have all usual student and institutional records maintained; however, institutions will not report such students for budgetary purposes.
- Must meet all System, institution, and legislated degree requirements if they are degree-seeking students.
- May not enroll in dental, medical, veterinary, or law schools under the provisions of this policy.
Rationale or Purpose